Lake Harriet United Methodist Church is looking for an individual with experience in multimedia communications design and administration to serve as our Communications Specialist.
Reports to: Church Business Administrator
Posting Effective: March 24, 2016 until filled
Position Effective: April 1, 2016
Status: Part-time (20 hours per week)
Job Summary – The Communications Specialist is responsible for designing, delivering, and managing the communication of church activities, ministries, schedules, correspondence, promotion, and publications across all media for Lake Harriet United Methodist Church and its affiliated organizations.
- Design and Management. Designs and directs all congregation-facing and public communications to support the Church in carrying out its mission and ministries.
- Media and Information Management. Manages the communications strategy, policies, calendars, and information across physical and digital media (including onsite, mail, email, social media, and website) in the most highly effective, engaging, compliant, and secure ways.
- Development, Production, and Delivery Management. Designs, produces, and publishes church calendars, bulletins, newsletters, e-mail announcements, and congregational mailings.
- General and Administrative. Provides a hospitable presence to visitors and members and provides support in other administrative or leadership tasks as might be requested.
Required Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Degree in communications, media, or related field, or at least 2 years of communications experience.
- Proficiency in the selection and use of creative suite programs such as Photoshop and InDesign.
- Proven ability to create, design, and maintain websites and dedicated webpages within social media using web design packages (e.g. WordPress) and web protocols (e.g. HTML and CSS).
- Demonstrated experience and ability to effectively use graphic design principles, typography and photography to produce quality communications products.
- Must be able to initiate projects and meet deadlines.
- Proven experience in execution and management of communications within an organization.
- Expertise in progressive management of online presence, tactical communications, and social media.
- Operational, fiscal management, interpersonal, and cross functional leadership skills.
- Creativity, innovation, and proactivity.
- Execution, management, and attention to detail.
- Interpersonal skills and team orientation
- Commitment to support the Church’s mission and growth.
If you are interested in applying for Lake Harriet UMC’s Communications Specialist position, please send the following to Jim Koon, Church Business Administrator:
- a copy of your resume, and
- samples of (or links to) written and visual design work that you have produced.