Lake Harriet United Methodist Church is looking for an individual with recruitment, training and online communication skills to serve as our Volunteer Coordinator.
Posting Effective: March 1, 2017 until filled
Position Effective: April 1, 2017
Reports to: Pastor
Status: Part-time (4 hours per week)
Job Summary – The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the timely communication of volunteer needs and opportunities in support of LHUMC’s services and ministries, and for the recruitment, training and coordination of congregational volunteers to meet those needs and match those opportunities.
- Work with pastor to establish system and processes to address volunteer needs to support LHUMC and its ministries.
- Recruit volunteers to help with various ministries of LHUMC, including but not limited to Sunday morning ushers, greeters, scripture readers, coffee set-up and take-down, and communion servers.
- Offer volunteer trainings to ensure that all volunteers are equipped to serve, emphasizing radical hospitality throughout our volunteer ministries.
- Ensure coverage of all Sunday morning volunteer needs when late changes are requested.
- Coordinate volunteer appreciation on a yearly basis.
- This job may be done from home or from church since most work will be in the form of phone calls, emails, and best of all, face-to-face conversations.
- Some weeks will require longer hours than others, but most weeks should be 1-3 hours of time.
Requisite Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Knowledge of those who participate in the life of the congregation.
- Commitment and high level of comfort in reaching out and connecting with new people to involve them in the life of the congregation.
- Excellent skills in interacting with people face-to-face, via phone, and utilizing technology.
- Intermediate to advanced skills and experience in utilizing email and other computer-based applications for recruiting and organizing volunteers.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and administer volunteer needs.
- Initiative. Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and energetic about worthwhile activities; not fearful of taking well thought risks; seizes opportunities; sets demanding but achievable objectives for self and others.
- Interpersonal Skills. Establishes good working relationships with all others who are relevant to the completion of work; works well at all levels; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; avoids communication triangles.
- Team Orientation. Works cooperatively and helps foster a collaborative and supportive work environment with church leaders and members of the congregation and staff; contributes positively to the collective performance of the team.
- Mission Ownership. Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values and beliefs of the congregation; can demonstrate those to others; consistently behaves in a manner that supports the mission and vision of the church in congruence with its values and beliefs.
If you are interested in applying for Lake Harriet UMC’s Communications Specialist position, please send a copy of your resume with a brief cover letter Jim Koon, Church Business Administrator.